Indulge KC: Spring 2018 Takeaways
“Where are you?!”
“What is this?”
“OMG! Can I come with you next time??”
“This looks so cool! Is this in KC?”
I received all of these DM’s when I posted a video of a bunch of #badassbabes grooving and working out together under the roof of City Gym KC last weekend.
To answer everyone’s questions in real time – it’s called INDULGE, and it’s in Kansas City; and YES, you can absolutely come with me next time.
INDULGE is a day-long event for women to come together – vulnerable and raw – and sweat, learn, connect and support. It’s an inspiring and emotional experience, as there is a lot of honesty shared and hard questions asked. There are students, yoga teachers, lawyers, doctors, spiritual gurus, entrepreneurs, spin instructors, chiropractors and more that show up to learn from one another and challenge each other. It’s a day of all things good.
Last fall, I wrote a recap on the INDULGE Fall 2017 experience, and this year I wanted to do something similar, but a bit less formal. During Indulge this year, I created a bulleted list of everything that spoke to me, made me teary, called my name or made me stop and pause. This list includes everything that I’m hanging onto from my experience.
My dream is for every #badassbabewarrior to get to experience INDULGE (or an event like it) at some point, because I believe that surrounding yourself with ambitious women and passionate people helps shape you into the person that you are meant to be. With a supportive community, we grow and flourish alongside one another – we lift each other up and help accomplish large obstacles, big dreams and cultural obstacles. What we are capable of together is so much greater than what we are capable of alone.
I hope that as you read below, you find something that hits home for you. Maybe you’ll write one of the following notes on a napkin and leave it for a stranger in a coffee shop, or maybe you’ll create a bookmark for yourself with a reminder that you have the power to make a difference.
If you went to INDULGE this April and there is something that you would like for me to add to this list, please let me know in the comments below! And for all you beautiful people that weren’t able to join us at the event this Spring – prepare yourself for an awesome experience in the fall. INDULGE happens twice a year yo!
Women as Leaders
Many of us are guilty of not standing up for ourselves enough, not believing in our capabilities or over-explaining our qualifications in hopes of gaining approval from others in power. If we want to continue to lead, we have to understand the importance of always moving forward and never giving up – no matter what.
- We need to have confidence. We need to believe that we can accomplish what’s in front of us, believe that we are capable of overcoming obstacles and believe that we have the ability and power to make a difference.
- We need to stay in the game. Life knocks you down? Get back up. Things are hard? Push through and lean on those that love you for support. Never stop paving the path forward.
- You don’t need the right timing. You just have to pick a direction and go. Sometimes you might have to redirect or change course, but either way, you’re advancing and getting stronger.
- We are role models! We need to set the example of what we want to see in the women younger than us. We need to represent exactly who we want women to be – powerful, bright, ambitious, honest and confident females who are supportive of one another.
Balance – is it bullshit?
Sometimes, balance can imply perfectionism. We can’t really have it all, do it all or be it all – and that’s okay! Instead, we need to find what fills us up and chase after that wholeheartedly.
- What truly fills you up? It’s not going to be everything; and it might not look like 50% of one thing and 50% of another equally. What really aligns with you? What sets your soul on fire? What draws you in? What speaks to you?
- Your work can be who you are! Your work and life can be a blend. You are allowed to love what you do, and you are allowed to be proud of it.
- Be good to yourself. In all circumstances.
- You don’t have to do everything. You are not a perfect human being. Do what you can with everything that you have instead, and be excited about it.
- Energetically GIVE to people, your work, practices and the earth, and you will receive what you NEED in return. The universe will align with you if you are willing to dive in with your spirit and soul and give yourself intentionally to what’s in front of you.
Continuing Female Progress
In order for women to keep rising to the top, we have to work together for the rights of one another. We have to challenge and support one another. We have to be in this together.
- Mentor relationships are of vital importance if we truly want to grow and prosper spiritually, intellectually, emotionally, physically… Find someone that is willing to meet with you consistently and help you develop your ideas and dreams.
- We can’t quit after a bad day. There will be days when we doubt ourselves and days when we take two steps backwards, but we have to push forward anyways. Consistency will lead to momentum, and momentum will lead to success.
- Always find new ways of operating. One way doesn’t work? Try another. One relationship ends? Dive deeper into others.
- Make sacrifices. Say goodbye to relationships that do not serve you. Say “no” when you need to.
- Work together for the rights of all other minority groups. This is about ALL of us, not just women.
Sometimes the foggiest times in our lives are the most fertile. What lies ahead is truly unknown, and to accept this we must be willing to let go of control and move forward no matter the rockiness of the road ahead.
- Hold space for pain, fear, grief and disappointment. Although these emotions are hard – they are our most important teachers.
- When you are in the dark, where do you remain grounded? Where does your soul lie? Seek this out, capture and hold onto it. This is your passion and purpose.
- Be willing to bend and climb. Twist and turn. Lunge and leap. You will get there.
- Accept the fact that you may not always know. That life is uncertain – unknown.
Is there anything that I missed and that you'd like me to add to this list? Let me know in the comments below. I would love to see this list grow!